Version 220.127.116.11 - 25 July 2004
- Added Quality Settings tab in the backup dialog, with option to enable AEC "adaptive error compensation" algorithms.
- Updated to NeroSDK 1.05, which includes support for burning DVD-9 dual-layer media.
Added DVD-9 target size in preferences window.
- Removed "burn with DVD Decrypter" checkbox and replaced with a selectable backup target.
- Added burn with CopyToDVD as a backup target, this appears if CopyToDVD is installed.
- Added automatic support for splitting ISO files if they are saved to a FAT32 partition.
A .MDS file is also output which can be burned with DVD Decrypter and mounted by Daemon Tools.
MDS files can additionally be opened with DVD Shrink from the "Open Disc Image..." menu.
- Added support for replacing a title with a custom image. A default image from Guy Incognito is installed.
- Added "InstallPath", "InstallApp" and "InstallHelp" keys to the DVD Shrink registry.
- Added "March by ZeF69" toolbar.
- Fixed bug where Panscan and Letterbox subpicture streams could be erroneously discarded in some circumstances.
- Fixed bug if volume label exceeded 32 characters.
Version 3.1.7 - 14 March 2004
- Added function to read and write ISO files, also backup option to burn an ISO file with DVD Decrypter.
- Fixed bug of remapping the last subpicture streams in re-author mode, or full-disc mode if "logical
- Changed "About" dialog with new graphics from Guy Incognito.
- Small enhancements to "Backup Target" dialog.
- Fixed file opening code to work with only a partial DVD when browsing in re-author mode.
This means you can still re-author parts of a DVD, even if missing some files.
- Fixed UDF reading code to open files stored in the VIDEO_TS folder of a CD-ROM disc.
- Added preference option to disable RPC2 drive region checking which solves problems with some hacked firmware.
- Backup volume label is initialized with that of the source DVD, rather than "DVD_SHRINK".
Also root tree item in the main view now displays volume label, rather than "DVD".
- Added function to preview MPEG audio streams.
- Changed "Invalid data in VOB file" error to report filename.
Version 3.1.6 - 23 Feb 2004
- Fixed bug which caused occasional skipping/freezing of output DVD during playback on some players.
- Fixed bug which caused non-display of menu buttons in some output DVDs.
- Fixed ripping from Pioneer 120S drives.
- Added support to change drive region of RPC2 drives in case of region mismatch with disc.
- Set the read-speed of DVD drive to maximum before analysis & encoding (few drives support this function).
Version 3.1.5 - 8 Feb 2004
- Added warning in case of re-authoring menus: reminder that they will be converted into video clips.
- Fixed closed captions: no longer stripped from output files.
- Fixed navigation command for "no subpicture" in re-author. Also now use separate commands for default
audio and subpicture as easier for IFOedit users.
- Changed default streams GUI in re-author mode.
- Fixed various problems in still-picture encoder:
- PTS/DTS set correctly
- timestamp of sequence end code recorded in NV_PCK
- 3:2 pulldown disabled
- Fixed checking of DVD files when opened in "open files" mode.
- Fixed ISO-639 code for Hebrew to "iw".
- Automatically stop video preview when doing quick analysis in re-author mode.
- Improved support for mousewheel in DVD browser view.
- Backup proceeds without warning if total compilation size is within 128KB of the target size. This helps
prevent warnings if automatic compression is slightly inaccurate (due to floating point rounding error).
- Added menu option to turn on/off "combine shared titles" in full-disc mode.
- Changes to application startup code, attempt to fix crash on some windows 2000 systems.
- Added Carlitus/Mandraker toolbar buttons.
- Changed compiler switches to optimize for Pentium systems.
- Changed all spellings of "disk" to "disc" (except in the case of "hard disk").
- Fixed small bug in main window where selected menus could fail to deselect.
Version 3.1.4 - 25 Jan 2004
- Booktype DVD-ROM is checked by default, disabled if unsupported.
- Fixed bug where deep analysis could still be forced on.
- Added preferences option for "built-in software renderer" which solves video preview problems on some systems.
- Preview window now tries to play only audio streams which are available in a title.
- Changes to file reading code, can enable overlapped I/O and specify read block size by options in
- Automatically stop video preview when using Start/End control in re-author mode.
- Fixed problem of incorrectly reported burning speeds.
- Prefix drive letter to list of available burning devices.
- Fixed bug where analysis results file could be saved to the wrong filename after "deep analysis
before backup", so the results were not cached when opening the same DVD a second time.
- Some performance improvements, analysis and encoding approx. 6% faster on test systems.
Version 3.1.3 - 18 Jan 2004
- Added support for RGB 16-bit and 24-bit video preview (for really old video cards).
- Fixed possible crash during video preview initialization.
- Added preference options for overlapped I/O and read block size, this may increase ripping performance on some systems.
- Changes to Nero initialization parameters which caused excessively slow read speeds on some
- Added Nero burn options: write speed, book type and DVD+R/RW high compatibility mode switch.
- Fixed "no default audio" and "no default subpicture" options in re-author mode. These are the default
selection. In this case the DVD player determines which streams to play.
- Fixed bug where deep analysis could still be forced on.
- Increased maximum compression to same level as 3.0b5.
- Fixed bug which prevented opening of individual IFO files (can do this by dropping IFO file into DVD Shrink
main window, use with caution because unless you open a VIDEO_TS.IFO file the output will not be a
Version 3.1.2 - 13 Jan 2004
- Fixed possible corruption of output video when low compression applied at a scene change.
This may have caused pixelation or intermittent freezing.
- Some changes to support unicode build for Japanese language.
Version 3.1.1 - 11 Jan 2004
- Disabled overlapped IO in UDF disc reader: this solves problems with "DVD Region Free" software.
- Ensure all overlapped IO in generic file system code is aligned to sector boundaries.
- Added option to enable/disable Nero in preferences.
- Fixed bug where "deep analysis before backup" was forced on, even though no compression required.
- Some modification to Nero initialization parameters, which solves problems when virtual cd-drive software
- Set "system default renderer" to the default DirectX video renderer instead of VMR-9.
- Added support for YUVY, YUY2 and YVYU directshow formats.
- Don't eject burned DVD if "shutdown when complete" was selected.
- Fixed crash when opening IC8 generated DVDs. They still cannot be opened however.
- Modified text of "set toolbar buttons" dialog, so people don't think it is wallpaper.
Version 3.1 - 10 Jan 2004
- Added "analysis not necessary" message if click analysis but DVD does not require any compression. In this case, deep analysis option is also disabled in backup dialog.
- Added "phoenity" buttons from Lim Chee Aun.
Version 3.1 Beta 10 - 9 Jan 2004
- Added dummy help file when hit F1.
- Modified text in RCE dialog.
- Changed dialog fonts to "MS Shell Dlg" which should map to Tahoma on XP/2000. Backup and preferences window fonts refuse to change however.
Version 3.1 Beta 9 - 8 Jan 2004
- Added Ctrl+R, Ctrl+B keyboard accelerators.
- Modified view menu.
- Added default audio/subpicture selection in re-author mode (by popup menu)
- Fixed bug where "logical stream remapping" would attempt to remap subpicture stream no 62 and 63.
(these IDs have special meaning and should not be remapped)
- "Logical stream remapping" is unchecked by default.
- Fixed bug where non-logical stream remapping would fail to zero completely the disabled stream in
- Added "Mixed Compression" entry to the video compression box which is purely for information, better than displaying a blank entry.
Version 3.1 Beta 8 - 8 Jan 2004
- Burn dialog automatically steps progress control when in "waiting for insert media" mode: try to create the impression that we have not crashed, but are waiting...
- Wrapped NeroAPI code in exception handlers: if a crash occurs within Nero, then DVD Shrink should be
able to continue (without burning functionality).
- Improved checking of target folder validity.
- Improved handling of scenario where the burn target is the same drive as the current DVD source material:
user is prompted to insert blank media after encoding and replace original disc after burning.
- Added "Logical remapping of enabled streams" option. This is checked by default. If checked, all disabled streams are entirely removed from IFO files, and menu buttons, navigation commands are remapped to
point to the correct remaining streams. If unchecked, disabled streams are only marked as unavailable in PGC_GI tables, and no remapping of any kind occurs. The first (default checked) option is generally recommended, but may cause problems with stream selection on some discs.
Version 3.1 Beta 7 - 7 Jan 2004
- Changed deep analysis button. It is always enabled but a message will popup if no analysis necessary.
- Changed rate reporting to KB/s rather than MB/s, which makes easier comparison with DVD Decryptor.
- Changed back to "DVD Shrink 2.3" buttons by default.
- Changed Aymeric buttons name to "Smooth" at request.
- Fixed progress bar in analysis dialog, so it starts at an offset depending how much of the DVD has already
- If error occurs during Nero initialization (demo version expired, etc) then burning is disabled and backup
dialog displays hyperlink to http://www.nero.com instead. Backup to hard disk will function normally.
- Append ".nrg" extension if user doesn't type one when saving an image file.
- Added property page for burn settings if burning is enabled.
Version 3.1 Beta 6 - 6 Jan 2004
- Added burning functionality. Burning is enabled if you have nero 6 installed.
It may also work with Nero version 5, not yet tested.
- Changed "finished" dialog to handle the various states.
- Added hyperlink to finished dialog, opens windows explorer at the output file folder.
- Changed DVD opening code to allow open of partial (incomplete) DVD folders in re-author mode. VIDEO_TS.IFO file must exist however.
- Added aymeric buttons, and set them to default. Not fully decided on this yet.
Version 3.1 Beta 5 - 4 Jan 2004
- Fixed bug in re-author where titles would fail to deselect (this caused unintended titles could be dragged
- Fixed crash if attempt to load a DVD from invalid media.
- Increased shutdown time to 120 seconds.
- Deep analysis before backup is unchecked by default.
- Decreased time to wait for state change in preview window to 100ms which can improve response when selection changes.
- Added device-removal handling. It is now impossible to re-author a title from an ejected disk, or edit an
ejected disk in full-disk mode (the document closes).
- Added F5 refresh shortcut. DVD browser should automatically refresh if a disk is inserted or removed (but volume label does not always display correctly until manually refreshed).
- Current re-authored DVD is preserved if you switch away from re-author mode (it will still be there if you
switch back, no matter what you do in full-disk mode).
- Disabled copy or drag of the root item in re-author view.
- Fixed crash when copy from fulldisk and paste into re-author.
- Added "Close All Open DVDs" menu option which flushes and resets DVD Shrink cache of opened DVDs.
- Fixed "Add" operation in re-author, also works with double-click.
- Fixed saving of analysis results in re-author mode and after quick analysis when dragging/adding titles. Analysis results are saved back to the original source DVD.
- Moved analysis results folder to common applications data:
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DVD Shrink"
This folder is version independent and will not change in future releases of DVD Shrink.
- Changed DeCSS disk reader to use overlapped IO on WinNT systems, this may (or may not) increase performance.
Version 3.1 Beta 4 - 3 Jan 2004
- Fixed crash after start/end frames in re-author.
- Keyboard shortcuts.
- Changed backup dialog, now reports disk space available, better looking GUI, better checking for target
- Added "low priority mode" to preferences dialog.
- Added "disable all subpicture streams" option in preferences.
- Deep analysis now hides the application window while analysing.
- Added pause/resume function during analysis and encoding.
Version 3.1 Beta 3 - 31 Dec 2003
- Changes to preferences dialog layout.
- Added preferences option to set DirectX video renderer for video preview (this may solve problems on some systems).
- Added preferences option to automatically select audio and subpicture streams.
- Fixed bug where deep analysis would recalculate all compression settings to fill the target size, even if user
set custom ratio.
Version 3.1 Beta 2 - 30 Dec 2003
- Modified preview window to use VMR-9 if possible, otherwise use default video renderer.
- Fixed EULA so does not display twice.
- Fixed possible hang in video preview when dragging from re-author.
Version 3.1 Beta 1 - 29 Dec 2003
- Improved re-author GUI.
- Switched to DirectShow architecture for video preview, adding audio preview functionality.
- Improved pre-analysis routines: slower but provides more accurate estimation of compressed size.
- Deep Analysis option disabled if no compression necessary.
- Fixed bug in "Perform deep analysis before backup" option.
The resulting files could have been over/undersized if video was not set to "Automatic" compression.
- Disabled audio/subpicture streams are remapped and completely removed from output IFO file if they are disabled in every title which contains a reference to them.
- Added support for custom toolbar images.
- Fixed "Cannot decrypt VOBS" error.
- Improved error reporting to indicate filenames where appropriate.
- Added Layer break removal.
- Changed "open files" to browse for a folder, not a filename. The folder must contain a complete DVD title.
- Added automatic creation of VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS subfolders in output directory.
- Added "low priority mode" for backup.
- Added check for available disk space.
- Added shutdown computer warning so user can cancel.
- Added installer/uninstaller (courtesy of Inno Setup Compiler).
- Improved support for Win98.
- No longer steal ".IFO" file extension for DVD Shrink.
Version 3.0 Beta 5 - 15 Aug 2003
- Fixed VTS address offsets in TT_SRPT for re-authored disks with more than one title.
This may have caused problems with some burning softwares and may have prevented playback of the
second title, depending on the player used.
Version 3.0 Beta 4 - 14 Aug 2003
- Fixed FF/FR bug which affected video set to "Automatic" mode but not actually compressed.
This bug may also have caused player freeze or all sorts of other problems, depending on the player.
- Fixed automatic shutdown mode.
- Changed windows EWX_SHUTDOWN command to EWX_POWEROFF.
Version 3.0 Beta 3 - 10 Aug 2003
- Fixed "big-endian" bug in re-author mode.
This bug prevented re-author of multiple titles from correctly playing back in sequence.
Version 3.0 Beta 2 - 10 Aug 2003
- Fixed problem with mapping audio and subpicture stream numbers in re-author mode.
- Fixed crash when cancelling quick analysis after opening DVD Shrink by command-line or by clicking on
IFO file in Explorer. Now exits gracefully.
- DVD disks (as well as files) can now be opened by command line, or by double-clicking in Explorer.
"DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 2.exe" z:\
-> open dvd disk in drive z.
"DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 2.exe" z:\video_ts\vts_04_0.ifo
-> open VTS4 on dvd disk in drive z.
- Fixed bug which always required VIDEO_TS.IFO file to be present, even if you open a VTS_xx_0.IFO file.
- Files on encryped dvd can now be opened with "open files" option.
- Fixed maximize button.
Version 3.0 Beta 1 - 9 Aug 2003
- Compression levels replaced by four new settings:
- No compression - original video.
- Automatic - DVD Shrink will choose the best compression ratio.
- Custom - you can select desired ratio (with a slider).
- Still Pictures - as before.
- Better "Quick analysis".
The sample points for initial quick analysis are carefully chosen, and sparse analysis results are interpolated between samples.
- New "Analysis" button.
This performs a deep analysis, which guarantees the predicted target size is met and significantly improves video quality.
- New "Analysis Results" file format.
The new format is more flexible, used to save results of the initial quick analysis, also deep analysis results or partial analysis results (if you cancel analysis, partial results are saved).
Also better checking in case of conflict of CRC values between two DVDs.
- One-pass encoding.
Output files are written to HD in one pass, so no longer necessary to make a second pass to fix navigation ptrs. This reduces total encode time by about 5 mins.
- Multi-threaded preload buffer (in both analysis and encode modules).
While one batch of data is being processed, the next batch is pre-loaded on a seperate thread. This seems to work especially well during quick analysis, where the waiting time for drive seek operations is significantly reduced.
- RCE region protection removal. Special thanks to Mr.Bass.
- New "New Frame" menu option.
It is used by the "Re-author" module which now supports drag 'n drop, or cut & paste, from any window (allowing re-author from multiple disks).
This creates another instance of DVD Shrink, without starting a new process.
- Video preview window shifted to the right-pane, which is where it belongs.
- Fixed various strange behaviours in the DVD and Streams View.
- Removed the now unnecessary "Compressed" column.
- Compression % values inverted, so they now represent the ratio of output size to original (small % = big compression).
- File reading code now supports output from DVD Decryptor in "Auto" file-splitting mode, or non-split VOB files.
- Fixed bug in re-author where only 32 titles could be played in sequence. The limit now is 99.
- Added "perform deep analysis" option in backup dialog, thus analysis and re-encode become one sequential operation.
- Added "shutdown when complete" option in backup dialog.
- Added "remove macrovision" option in preferences (all versions since 2.x remove macrovision, now it is an option).
- Added "remove P-UOPs" option in preferences.
- Added "split VOB files" option in preferences, on by default.
- Fixed possible problem which may have caused gaps in audio playback.
- Removed option to disable menu subpicture streams, as this stream usually contains the menu buttons.
- Added option to completely disable video preview.
- Moved all hard coded text strings into resource file, so future translations will be complete.
- Removed "view Raw DVD" option.
- Added "Unreferenced Material" folder.
It appears in the main view if material is found on the dvd which does not seem to belong to any menu or title. Previously the existance of this material would cause errors in target size calculations.
- Removed "error margin" option - no longer required ;-)
- Added "Combine Shared Titles" menu option, which is on by default.
Turn this off to seperately list all multi-angle titles (or titles which share the same video with other titles) in the main view. You will need this, for instance, if you wish to re-author only Angle 2, etc.
- Fixed TMAP table generation for re-authored titles with angle greater than 1.
Seek in PowerDVD etc should now work, whatever the angle.
- Various other tweaks and enhancements.
Version 2.3 - 14 June 2003
- Fixed bug in re-author module.
It occurred in certain DVDs with an unusual PGC structure. This bug caused dvd player to freeze or lockup at specific points in the movie.
- Added support for 64bit file sizes.
- Added support for opening files generated by IFOEdit software.
- Fixed bug which caused analysis to crash if input video stream is corrupt.
- Attempt to make "Remapping VOBS" stage more reliable, even if there are errors on original DVD.
- Added automatic "retry" (4 retries) if read from disk fails.
- Fixed error in .IFO file output: vtsi_mat_ea, vts_tmapt_ea.
- Fixed bug where video could be corrupted in some rare situations (vobu containing more than one sequence header).
- Tweaked video encoder module; now slightly faster.
- Fixed bug in "Still Pictures" mode.
Picture temporal reference is now set correctly, and sequence end code is always written.
- Added "Total Processing Time" information to finish dialog.
- Added support in "Preferences" for combining titles which overlap or share the same video in the DVD View.
This prevents confusion when a compression level applied to one title also affects another, because they
share the same video.
Version 2.2 - 11 June 2003
- Fixed bug where fast forward/fast backward playback did not function correctly in target disk.
Version 2.1 - 11 June 2003
- Improved compression and new levels. The quality is much improved.
- Added unicode support for Japanese language.
Japanese release is unicode; all other languages are MBCS since unicode does not work on Windows 98.
- Hide audio/subpicture streams of negligible size is turned off by default.
Also fixed filtering bug in Streams View.
- Fixed bug where "Still Pictures" mode failed while encoding menus.
Version 2.0 - 6 June 2003
- New User Interface.
- Improved compression algorithms.
This version is slower than 1.03, but the achieved compression ratio is greater at any encode level.
- Fixed various issues about jerky playback and video corruption.
- Macrovision is removed from the VOB files.
- RCE region protection is NOT removed (yet).
This can prevent full-disk backup of RCE protected disks, however re-author mode will work of course.
- Decryption module rewritten from scratch. It no longer contains GNU libdvdcss library code.
- Multi-angle problems fixed.
You can now add any angle in re-author mode (no more "no cell pieces in this angle" error).
- NTSC/PAL mixup is fixed.
- Invalid BCD::tc_flag error is fixed.
- Removed code which remapped remaining audio/subpicture stream IDs if any were removed. This caused problems on some DVDs.
- Lots of other small fixes, all of which I can't remember now.
Version 1.04 - 21 April 2003
- Fixed multi-angle in re-author. The only limitation now is you cannot select ALL angles simultaneously.
- Fixed crash in re-author if TMAPT (time map table) is not present.
- Removed %compression display during re-encoding, since it served no function other than to confuse people.
- Fixed DirectDraw bug where copier/encoder would crash due to loss of display surface (when screen saver starts, etc).
- Modified output stream of encoder, now removes CRC and PES_EXT, and sets/unsets various flags in the
PES headers. Still not entirely sure if PES_EXT is compulsory for the first VOBU in a VOB.
- Changed "Browse for Folder" to modal dialog.
- Fixed rather serious bug in "Crop" where selection by chapter was incorrectly offset by one vobu.
Why did nobody report this...?
- Added "region-free" control in set target dialog, this is always on by default.
- Macrovision is now removed
- Removed libdvdcss because of GNU licensing issues.
Current decryption module only supports Win NT/2K/XP.
- Various other fixes.
Version 1.03 - 9 April 2003
- Added extra encode levels. This is not a final solution to the encode interface, just a temporary measure.
- Added "Still Movie" encoding: only copy the I-pictures, heavily compressed.
This gives huge compression as an alternative to deletion of the entire video stream, which people seem to want, but re-encoder module can't handle, because it alters the navigation structure of the DVD. Audio and subpicture streams will still play normally.
- Increased number of samples taken during analysis, so it takes 50% longer but gives more accurate expected sizes. Maybe this should be a user option.
- The "not a system pack" error is fixed, by removing non-system packs during the re-encode, rather than throwing an error.
I still don't know what these non-system packs are doing in the VOBS, or if they shouldn't be included instead. If they occur, a little message pops up after re-encode is finished.
- Increased brightness of video preview in re-author module, add and crop dialogs.
Preview windows in other modules are DirectDraw YUV surfaces for performance, so not so easy to modify.
- Removed support for multi-angle from re-author (too many problems).
Adding support again will require a virtual rewrite of the re-author module. User is now offered only angle 1, which will prevent crashes.
- Added a message next to "include menus" checkbox in re-author, so hopefully people will stop thinking they can, um, include menus.
- Added code to strip all buttons and button commands from menus that are added in re-author, actually from anything that is added at all.
Most of them contain invalid links or commands, esp. in the case of menu vobs because they move from the menu domain to the VTS domain when the re-authored DVD is built. I guess no buttons is better than invalid buttons.
- Fixed stupid bug where region and provider ID changes were written to the .IFO files but not the .BUP files, so they came out different.
- Modified error reporting dialog. Now attempts to report the cause of an error using GetLastError() API.
- Added check that source and destination folders are different. Not entirely foolproof because of shortcuts.
Just to make sure, encoding/copying will not proceed unless the destination folder is empty of DVD files.
- Changed distribution name. From now on, DVDShrink103.exe, etc.
Version 1.02 - 7 April 2003
Initial Release. A star is born!!! (added by ddlooping)
This site is hosted by